Odobea

Random Thoughts...

Monday, June 10, 2002

A day at the zoo.
Some days you just don't feel like doing anything. That's how it started till we were rudely ushered out of bed by annoying phone calls. It was a nice day to be at the zoo. We saw all sorts of interesting animals but they all seemed to be depressed. There were the asian elephants, varieties of monkeys, cats, goats, birds, wolves, giraffs etc.

The tropical African room felt so much like home to me. The humidity was heavenly. To my friend, it must have felt like hell. I don't know how anyone with asthma could ever survive in Ghana. I'm not sure there are many asthmatics in Ghana. How would they deal with the humidity of the rainy season or the dryness of the hamattan?

The bats were a hoot. All I know about them is that the rest upside down. It never occured to me that they'd have to pee and poop right side up. One mischevious little bat peed in one of the food pans and flew to the other end of the cage to rest. I'm sure he had a grin on his face.

The tigers were awesome. When they awoke, I realised why I love those creatures so much. There's just something so majestic about them. Somehow despite how good they looked they seemed so tired and depressed. These animals need their exercise. They need to be the wild animals that they are. Cages can be so limiting. The leopards were not much better. I could have sworn that one in particular had obsessive compulsive disorder. It kept pacing back and forth in the same crestlike motion, never looking up or around at its audience. I guess it just didn't care anymore.

Even the monkeys seemed depressed. They stared with empty eyes. They must be dreaming of freedom, if they even know what that is. A baby monkey stuck to it's mothers tit while she checked him for tics. A beautiful mother and child moment. The birds were pretty cool too but even they didn't seem to have the aliveness of animals in the wild. I guess that's why it's a zoo.

Despite the depressive atmosphere, it was a nice warm day to spend with someone special. I think my favorite part was sitting on the bench watching people walk by. It seemed so relaxing as if we hadn't a care in the world. Well, maybe one. We were looking for someone to take our picture.