Odobea

Random Thoughts...

Monday, December 06, 2004

31 too old?

Age ain't nothing but a number indeed.
I have a wonderful single friend in her mid 20's who I really want to hook up. I'm not trying to marry her off. I know she's looking to meet new people or date and I'd like to help. The thing is that every guy I try to hook her up with doesn't seem to be the right fit. Recently I found a nice 31 year old who I though she might really like. Her objection, he's too old. He's only 31!
I must have changed somewhere along the years. Now that I think of it, at her age I would have thought the exact same thing. back then, 30 seemed so far away. The 30 somethings were the serious people. The "settled, old, established, past-their- prime marriage-minded ones". Now that I'm nearing my 30's, the title has mysteriously shifted to the 40 somethings.

All my friends seem to be in the settling down phase and their all in their mid 20's. Now I have nothing against it and I do think about it from time to time but the pressure sure seems to be piling on for some more than others. Is there a settling down and producing trigger that fires with maturity? Is mine the only one not firing? It's odd to hear a confessed player talk about finding someone he can live with for the rest of his life. It's almost irritating. Especially when someone says "you're almost 30. Shouldn't you be thinking about settling down and having a family?" Or "people loose respect for you if you're over a certain age and not married, especially if you're a woman." I at first wanted to punch the poor fellow in the face but later on just felt sorry for him. How tortured he must feel to think that others are judging him based on his marital status. I suggested he stop hanging around certain married couples. They seem to want him to be as miserable as they are! I'm not saying this to be mean, it's just that I know one of the couples he hangs around.. and I know all the details of their outwardly happy, inwardly troubled marriage. Don't get me wrong, marriage is great when it works but it just shouldn't be forced down people's throats or chastised for being happily single. Definitely not at the age of 31, be you male or female.